Finding a therapist who does effective Trigger Point Therapy in San Diego can be hard.
I’ve successfully treated clients with Trigger Point Therapy since 2009 in the San Diego area. I am educated in Trigger Point Therapy and can effectively treat shoulder and neck pain, TMJ and jaw related issues, headaches, sciatic pain and carpal tunnel syndrome, to name a few.
What is a trigger point? Within a muscle there are millions of muscle fibers. Trigger points are muscle fibers that have gotten irritated, causing you pain. Trigger Point Therapy locates irritated muscle fibers and breaks the pain cycle relieving your pain and discomfort.
Trigger Point Therapy can be both deep and relaxing depending on the technique. I always keep my client’s comfort in mind when doing this work and go as deep as their body will allow to be effective. Painful work is not more effective.
Trigger Point Therapy Techniques & Terms
- Palpation – gently accessing an area of the body by rubbing, kneading or compressing into the tissue and/or muscle attachments.
- Referral of Pain – when I palpate and you feel a sensation in another part of the body. For example, when I palpate the top of the shoulder or around the shoulder blade, clients typically feel a sensation up the neck behind the ear, into the forehead or into the front of the shoulder.
- Cross Fiber Friction – gently working back and forth against the direction of the muscle fibers to break up tightness, increase blood flow (bringing nutrients and oxygen to the tissue), relieve pain and increase range of motion.
- Compressions – adding pressure gently to an area of tightness to relax the muscle, increase blood flow, and relieve pain.
- Bone Cleaning – slowing working along the edge of a bone to release and relax muscle attachments.
- Stretching/Range of Motion Movements – passive movements done to you to increase flexibility and create more space and openness in your muscles and body.
- Gentle Nervous System Techniques – a series of strokes down the back and along the neck specifically designed to calm the nervous system to help relieve stress, calm your body and mind, and help your nervous system function more effectively and efficiently.